Monday, April 13, 2009

Lex and Her Magic School Bus

I'll be honest, I had my doubts.  On paper, the Boomerang Bus sounds like a fun jaunt around the Capital and a great way to experience the city's night life.  In practice, I thought it might be a logistical train wreck.  The concept is as follows;
Procedure: Boomerang around town, participate in the revelry, and along the way, make appearances at four DC bars/clubs.
1 Renovated school bus, with an interior decoration scheme certainly unsuitable for school children, equipped with a few stability poles if the Spirit moves you (and once you've had a few spirits yourself, they move you).
2 Fun Captains, responsible for making sure everyone is accounted for before the bus proceeds to the next bar.  Our Captains were Jordan and Joel (pronounced Jo-elle).
40 39 Dignified* patrons and an endless supply of merriment.

Our party consisted of 23.  Holding the majority, and knowing my friends, I thought we would easily dictate the personality of the bus.  We were in for a treat.  It turns out, our Boomerang companions set an aggressive pre-Boomerang pace in celebration of Lex's birthday.  For them, the Boomerang was simply the icing on Lex's proverbial cake.

A little bit about Lex: Lex was a voluptuous character whose braces gave her the unfortunate appearance of a perma-pucker.  She immediately announced her arrival, paraded to the middle of our group, swaying her hips (and consequently, the bus) with each step.  She took full advantage of the stability pole, revealing some dance moves that were not made for TV.  She immediately took the sobriquet Drunkest Girl at the Party, not to be confused with the phonetically similar word, sober, which she was far from. *I imagine Lex is still searching for her dignity.

The evening was surprisingly successful, and not just for Lex.  I incorrectly assumed that punctuality did not mix well with cocktails and beer and that the Fun Captains would have their work cut out for them.  I didn't realize that people would be so excited to boomerang that a line would form at the front of the bar 15 minutes before we were allowed back on the bus.  Maybe riding the school bus subconsciously reverted us to our elementary school days when the class was required to form a line before walking back from gym class.

While running in my friend Tyler's Grassroots Hoyas 5K the following morning, I had some personal time for introspection.  After analyzing the previous night's tomfoolery, I decided to add Fun Captain to my list of ideal jobs.  It's like all the perks of being a Captain without the risk of being captured by pirates.

1 comment:

  1. Wow this account is rife with details and specifics- did you research after the fact?

    I didn't know the birthday girl was named Lex let alone her dental history- then again I was too busy watching her make it clap.

    ReplyDelete