Monday, April 20, 2009

Rock the Red

Before I moved to DC, ice hockey would have topped my list of least favorite sports, even ahead of its icy counter-sport, curling.  Maybe it's the fact that I live in a city that has an opprobrious sports program; the Wizards ended their season last in the Eastern Conference, with a 19-63 record, only to be outperformed by the Nationals, who are off to a running start this season with a 1-10 record.

Attending a Capitals game is what I envision it would be like on a magic carpet ride; it's a whole new world but without the genie.  The atmosphere is electrifying and the excitement is clearly palpable.  Flashy lights, amplified acoustics, cheers and jeers from the crowd.  Little compares to the euphoric feeling of a packed Verizon Center with enough energy to light all of India for a month.

I am also constantly in a state of amazement at the ability to balance and pivot on a blade, while controlling a puck, and fending off slams into the glass.  I can't do any of those things independently, let alone coordinated.  My skill level is more aligned with the oft entertaining juniors who grace the ice during intermissions.

Of course, attendance at any public event brings out the throng of patrons whose entertainment rivals that of Ovechkin shooting a knuckle puck.  My favorite compatriot was a man who shouted expletives such as "Oopsy doodles" which I interpreted as #$*%.  Totes my goats.

Takes you wonder by wonder.  If there had been a genie, I would have used one of my wishes to secure a Capitals victory, something they couldn't pull off themselves.  I guess it's time to start turning my hopes to the Redskins...

No comments:

Post a Comment