Friday, May 8, 2009

This is My America: Real Men of Genius

I have traveled around the country, biking and climbing, hitchhiking and hijacking, and have found a consortium of people I believe unambiguously represent the best of the best.  Actually, that’s somewhere between a truth and a lie; all three of these Americans can be found in the DC Metropolitan area.

Left turn man. While driving around the streets of Arlington, I came to a stoplight behind a blackberry colored Honda Fit.  Our light turned green, the Honda Fit edged it’s way into the middle of the intersection to make a left hand turn.  Once he began to turn, he now found himself looking up at the red light for the cars in the lanes perpendicular to our green light.  So he stopped.  I politely honked.  He motioned to the law of the land, the red light.  I swerved around him.  No sir.  You should not have been given a drivers license.

Wendy’s lady.  I rolled through the Wendy’s drive through to order a Spicy Chicken Sandwich and a Medium Fries.  The lady at the window informed me my total would be $5.72.  I noticed that the Chicken Sandwich value meal only costs $4.69, and it also includes a drink.  I then asked the lady if she would throw in a soda and knock a dollar off of my bill.  I’m sorry, we can’t do that. No ma’am.  Then I would like to scrap that order and start over again.

Good Friday man. While strolling the streets of Georgetown on Palm Sunday I passed by a Catholic Church service.  Mass had just ended, and the churchgoers were scattering into the streets with palms in hand.  I observe a son point to the churchgoers and question his father.  The father then informs his son that it’s simply Good Friday. No son, do not fall for that scullduggery. Good Friday always falls on a Friday, never on a Sunday.

1 comment: