Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Middle East Part 5: Fact or Fiction?

As previously alluded to, I’m fairly confident that my journey to the Middle East could be entirely documented based on nothing more than the fine fare I feasted upon. And Istanbul was no exception. Domers and kabobs lined the street shops and roasted chestnut vendors were well within a chestnut throw of one another (on further reflection I think the Christmas Song might have been written from the streets of Istanbul) creating a fragrant atmosphere and subconsciously encouraging my gluttonous behavior.

One delicatessen Val and I were determined to try was the famed Turkish delight. While we were both set on partaking of this cultural confection, neither of us actually knew what it was. I just knew that I wanted to try it, because I remembered a close friend of mine (whose name eluded me at the time) raving about Turkish delight.

So with much fracas, Val and I tore across town in an attempt to be delightfully enlightened. Things we discovered: Turkish delight is a jelly-like confection coated in a powdered sugar, and comes in a variety of nutty and fruity flavors. Turkish delight is a bit over hyped and over rated (I would gladly default to the bordering baklava). Oh…and also that my close friend that espoused the virtues of Turkish delight was not in fact a dear friend, but rather Edmond Pevensie, from The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Woof.

No comments:

Post a Comment