Monday, November 2, 2009

A Nautical Affair

The other weekend, I attended the 1869 Society’s Fall Fete at the Corcoran Gallery of Art. My friend, Bernard, sits on the Host Committee for the event, and he, along with his fiancé Liz, organized a group of friends to attend the fundraiser.

The annual fundraiser has been described as successfully…

mixing the budding power brokers with those in the artistic and philanthropic worlds. As the rising crop of talent brushes shoulders, it becomes the next generation of Washington’s social and philanthropic elite. – Politico

The event draws…

hundreds of Washington’s next wave of politicos, power players, socialites, and wannabes. – Washingtonian.

I’m still trying to figure out which category I fall into. I think I fall closest to the wannabes, but I don’t think I wannabe.

This swanky affair’s open bar loosened the dance floor and the nautical themed hour devoirs appropriately complemented the featured exhibit; Sargent and the Sea. The exhibition was a display of early maritime paintings, watercolors, and drawings of the pre-eminant American expatriate, John Singer Sargent.

The highlight of my evening: While perusing the exhibit, I stumbled upon two seemingly identical pictures.

After closer scrutiny, I developed a profound appreciation for John Singer Sargent. Not only is he a great American painter, but I posit that he was the inspiration behind the world’s best bar game, Photo Hunt. So what did I do? I told every politico, power player, socialite, and wannabe around that this was, in fact, a game of Photo Hunt, met with universal approval and participation.

No comments:

Post a Comment