Sunday, October 31, 2010

Dessert Storm

Sometimes I forget that I am spending a year in Ghana, far removed from friends and family. With reliable (relatively speaking) internet access, it is easy to stay virtually connected. Other times I realize that the Atlantic Ocean is slightly more imposing than, say, London Bridge.

In early August, my mother put together a thoughtful care package to ship abroad. Included in the package were some freshly baked homemade brownies. Well, I’ve concluded that there’s a bottleneck somewhere in the process. Intercontinental mail has redefined my definition of snail mail. Approximately three months later, I am still awaiting the arrival of this package. But who’s counting?

As September came to a close, my mother emailed me (e > snail) a note of apology, and informed me that she had learned from her mistakes. Included in this email was a link to a 26-page Department of Defense recipe for brownies and a quip about how she should have followed this recipe instead. The benefit of these brownies – a three year lifespan, which coincidentally, is about the average lifespan of a snail.

This story supports the following conclusions:

A. The Bermuda triangle is real.

B. Snails make better escargot.

C. The Federal government spent approximately the same on Dessert Storm as it did on Desert Storm.

Anyway, I can’t wait to sink my teeth into those freshly baked brownies when they finally arrive!

No comments:

Post a Comment