Sunday, October 3, 2010

Faith

On my walk back from the gym one afternoon, I received a brochure from the Glory Gate Chapel informing me that God loves me big time. I was advised to look for a Bible believing Church and this would be the first step of my super Acceptance of His Super Love.

So, when one of my Ghanaian friends invited me to attend a church service with him, I quickly jumped at the opportunity. I knew I would be in for a cultural treat.

We would set off for church at 7:30am…early, yes, but very manageable since the travelling church that was once outside my room has decided to take up permanent residence and commences service at 6:30am.

Well, unbeknownst to me, new worshipers are invited to sit in the front row of the congregation. While I suspect it’s an attempt to bring me closer to God, I could think of a few additional reasons, (a) to make sure that I don’t fall asleep in the back of the congregation and (b) to transform me into a public spectacle since I can no longer rely on cues from my neighbor as to when I should sit and stand.

The church conformed to my preconceptions surrounding African traditions often associated with charismatic churches: the preacher’s tittup across the stage, the praise Gods, and the worship songs and hymns. I did not, however, anticipate playing such an important role in the service. Maybe because I was a first-timer or maybe because I was the only obruni in attendance, the preacher made a point to make me a focal point of his stories.

My favorite (or most terrifying) story was one he told about me and my wife. Even though I know she loved me, when my wife was about to deliver my baby, she was out of her mind and told me that I was despicable. Somehow this story was tied to the seasons, but I guess I was so distraught with my wife finding me despicable that I failed to grasp the connection of the seasons.

I suppose I didn’t mind being front and center. I mean, after all, if I hadn’t been there, how would I have ever found out that my wife was having a baby? Who knew? God works in mysterious ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment