Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Real Ghanaians of Genius

One of the lessons I learned while living outside of the United States is that it doesn’t matter where I am – I will always find real men and women of genius.

Left turn man. Struggling to locate the bus terminal based on the city map in my guidebook, the Fellows and I turned to the street smart for directions. Oh, you’re looking for the bus terminal? No problem. At the first junction, do nothing. At the second junction, do nothing. At the third junction, go straight. What? If I get to the first junction and do nothing, how do I ever make it to the second junction?

Wendy’s lady. While spending the evening in a beach bungalow at Ada Foah, I placed a dinner order of fried rice and yam chips. Three hours later, I received a plate of fried rice and chicken. Okay. Not exactly what I ordered, so I ate the fried rice, and returned the chicken. It’s cool. I’ve come to find fried rice as a sufficient meal. Well, moments later, I’m approached by the waitress. Excuse me. We just realized that we gave you chicken instead of yam. We made a mistake with your order. So you’re going to have to pay extra for the chicken. I’m sorry? You made a mistake? I didn’t even touch the chicken? I didn’t complain that I got the wrong dish? And you’re charging me extra? I’ve heard similar arguments before…

Good Friday man. Okay. I kid, I kid. Nobody in Ghana would EVER mistake Palm Sunday for Good Friday. Example #1. Example #2. Example #3.

No comments:

Post a Comment